Installation of Laminated Grips for the Ruger® MK IV™
Before We Begin
- Always make sure the firearm is unloaded before performing any work it!
- Remove all ammunition from the work area before working on any firearms.
- Always wear safety glasses when performing any work on a firearm.
Installation of our Laminated Grips for the Ruger® MK IV™. Please note that these grips are not compatible with the 22/45™ models.
Target grips feature thumb rest, heel rest and finger grooves. Designed to give the shooter a relaxed, steadier hold. CNC-machined from laminated wood and available in a variety of colors.
Includes four allen head screws. An extended magazine release is included. Only compatible with standard size magazine releases. If your pistol has an extended magazine release (MK IV Hunter and Competition models), you will need to replace it with our Magazine Release for MK IV™ when installing these grips.
Our grips are only compatible with standard size magazine releases. If your pistol has an extended magazine release (MK IV Hunter and Competition models), you will need to replace your magazine release with our Magazine Release for MK IV
These instructions reference your factory manual. If you do not have your manual, you may download a new one at http://ruger.com/manuals
- 3/32 Hex key to remove factory grip screws
- 7/64 Hex key (included) to install new grip screws
- A clean, non-slip surface, such as our Cleaning Mat
Remove Factory Parts
Step 1 - Separate Frame from Upper
Separate the frame and upper from one another using the normal push-button takedown feature of the pistol.
Note: do not dry fire the frame while disassembled.
Step 2 - Remove Factory Grips
Use the 3/32 hex key to to remove the four screws securing the factory grip panels to the frame.
Note: the magazine ejector on the side of the frame is easy to knock off after the grips are removed. Be mindful of this after the grips are removed.
Install Volquartsen Parts
Step 3 - Install Grips
- Insert the extended magazine release button from the grip kit into the magazine release hole from the inside of the grips.
- Install that grip onto the pistol using the new grip screws.
- Insert the two dowel pins into the holes in the bottom of the grip panel you just installed.
- Carefully install the other grip panel on the pistol, being careful to align it with the dowel pins you just installed.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the grip screws! Doing so can damage the grip and cause the screws to affect insertion and removal of magazines.
- Install the grip screws with the 7/64 hex key. They should be just past snug but not particularly tight. Start all four screws before tightening any of them.
Step 4 - Function Check
- Perform a function test of your pistol as described in the factory manual.