MK IV Volthane Grip InstallationFor more information, or to purchase this product, please visit the Volthane Target Grips for Ruger MK IV page
Before We Begin
- Always make sure the firearm is unloaded before performing any work it!
- Remove all ammunition from the work area before working on any firearms.
- Always wear safety glasses when performing any work on a firearm.
Our grips are only compatible with standard size magazine releases. If your pistol has an extended magazine release (MK IV Hunter and Competition models), you will need to replace your magazine release with our Magazine Release for MK IV
These instructions reference your factory manual. If you do not have your manual, you may download a new one at http://ruger.com/manuals
- 1/16 Hex key (included) to remove and install Extended Bolt Stop
- 3/32 Hex key (included) to remove factory grip screws
- 7/64 Hex key (included) to install new grip screws
- A clean, non-slip surface, such as our Cleaning Mat
Remove Factory Parts
Step 1 - Separate Frame from Upper
Separate the frame and upper from one another using the normal push-button takedown feature of the pistol.
Note: do not dry fire the frame while disassembled.
Step 2 - Remove Factory Grips
Use the 3/32 hex key to to remove the four screws securing the factory grip panels to the frame.
Note: the magazine ejector on the side of the frame is easy to knock off after the grips are removed. Be mindful of this after the grips are removed.
Step 3 - Remove Factory Bolt Release
- Use the 1/16 hex key to careful unscrew the pivot pin at the rear of the bolt stop.
- Slide the factory bolt release toward the rear of the pistol so that the forked end disengages from the Bolt Open Stop.
Install Volquartsen Parts
Step 4 - Install Extended Bolt Release
- Slide the forked end of the Extended Bolt Release around the stud on the Bolt Open Stop.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the bolt release screw. Doing so can damage the frame.
- Using the 1/16 hex key, reinstall the screw that retains the Extended Bolt Release. It should be just past snug but not particularly tight.
Step 5 - Install Grips
- Insert the extended magazine release button from the grip kit into the magazine release hole from the inside of the grips.
- Slide the grips over the frame and align the screw holes. To ensure that the extended magazine release button does not fall out while installing the grip, hold the grips with the release side down while installing them.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the grip screws! Doing so can damage the grip and cause the screws to affect insertion and removal of magazines.
- Install the grip screws with the 7/64 hex key. They should be just past snug but not particularly tight. Start all four screws before tightening any of them.
Step 6 - Function Check
- Perform a function test of your pistol as described in the factory manual.